Rich Girl Caretaker Vol. 11 Chapter 1
The Great Actress, Hinako Konohana
"We'll be going with a theatrical play as Class A's first choice!! Anyone opposed, raise your hand!!"
Asahi-san, who seemed to have taken on the role of coordinator for Class A's cultural festival preparations, announced from the front of the classroom.
Hearing Asahi-san's loud voice, not a single classmate raised their hand. After confirming the unanimous agreement, Asahi-san trotted over to my desk.
"And so, Tomonari-kun, we're leaving the rest to you!!"
"Understood. What should we do for our second and third choices?"
"Hmm... wouldn't a cafe or something be fine?"
"That's way too half-baked..."
I gave a bitter smile at Asahi-san's clearly careless response.
For the cultural festival attractions, each class prepares up to three choices and submits them to the student council. If there are many requests for the same attraction, the student council conducts a fair lottery to decide the class's attraction. This is to avoid a situation where every class ends up doing a cafe... or something similar.
Our first choice is a play, but I wanted them to decide on the remaining two candidates as well. Thinking this, I recalled what we had discussed in the student council the other day. Just as Tennouji-san had said, Class A immediately decided on a play as their first choice.
"Well, I get how Asahi feels, too."
While I was talking with Asahi-san, Taisho came over.
"Every year, theatrical plays are highly competitive, but surely the other classes will yield to us this year, right?"
"What do you mean?"
At my question, Taisho explained.
"You see, Kiou Academy's cultural festival has three main centerpiece attractions. Theatrical plays, chorus performances, and social dancing. These three are highly competitive, and I bet every class is putting them down as their first choice."
Taisho spoke while holding up three fingers.
Next, Asahi-san, standing beside him, chimed in.
"But, when all's said and done, our class has Konohana-san, who was a massive hit in last year's play! Everyone probably wants to see Konohana-san's acting again this year, so we figure they'll let us have the play!"
So that's how it is...
I had heard from Tennouji-san that Hinako was highly active in the play. Since plays use the auditorium stage rather than a classroom, the slots are already limited... but if that's the case, there's a high chance Class A will get to do one.
No wonder it was unanimous for a play. Everyone apparently wants to see Hinako's play. In fact, I could even sense a feeling of duty that Class A must do a play as long as Hinako is here.
"Um, by the way, are you okay with this, Konohana-san?"
I called out to Hinako, who was sitting in front of me.
Hinako turned around and gave a sweet smile.
"Of course. I will do my best again this year to meet everyone's expectations."
............Her smile is twitching soooo much.
Yeah, of course... Knowing Hinako, if she had the free time to participate in an attraction, she'd rather be sleeping soundly at home.
However, contrary to Hinako's true feelings, our classmates got completely fired up by her words.
"K-Konohana-san...!!"
"We have to do our best so we don't drag you down, too!!"
"I'm going to start taking acting lessons!!"
"Then I'm doing voice training...!!"
My classmates were burning with intense passion. Overwhelmed by the surrounding heat, Hinako began to visibly shrivel up like a plant deprived of water.
Let's give her some ice cream when we get home. No, it's getting cold out, so maybe a warm drink would be better...
"Man~~!! I'm really looking forward to the cultural festival!!"
Looking at our classmates overflowing with motivation, Taisho said.
"What's wrong, Taisho-kun? Being so formal all of a sudden."
"I mean, we've had a lot of competitive events lately, right? Like the Management Tournament and the student council election. Both gave a sense of accomplishment and were fun, but once in a while, I want to just enjoy an event with an empty head, you know..."
"Your head is always empty, Taisho-kun."
"I knew you were going to say that!!"
And here I thought I said something good~~!! Asahi-san cackled at Taisho, who was looking up at the ceiling in dismay.
However, Taisho's words struck a chord with me.
Now that he mentions it, he might be right. This will probably be my first event at Kiou Academy where there are no winners or losers.
"Ah, but for you, Tomonari, the cultural festival is a tough event too, huh?"
"Not at all."
I answered while recalling how busy the past few days had been.
"It's tough, but that's not all there is to it. We're having fun with it, too."
"Really? Because you tend to push yourself too hard sometimes, Tomonari..."
He's very observant... In fact, a few people have already taught me the importance of taking breathers up until now.
"But, student council members can't participate in the cultural festival attractions, right?"
"That's right. I might be able to if I have the time, but..."
Considering the workload, it seems unlikely. The student council also has to patrol various areas on the day of the cultural festival.
That being said, it's not like I'll be tied down by work the entire time. Patrols are done in shifts, so there's plenty of time for us officers to enjoy ourselves.
"Tomonari-kun, you really shouldn't push yourself too hard, okay? Unlike before, it's hard for us to help you with student council work."
"Thank you. But I'm really perfectly fine."
Wait, am I... not trusted?
Well, considering all the reckless things I've done so far, it's no wonder they think that...
However, while I appreciated their concern, this time, for once, it wasn't a bluff.
My words about enjoying the cultural festival came from the bottom of my heart.
This is my first time experiencing the management side of things, but it's quite interesting. I can probably feel this way because the majority of the students share Taisho's mindset.
Because it's a gathering place for the children of the wealthy, Kiou Academy usually leans towards faction-conscious competition, but the cultural festival is an event meant for enjoyment, not competition. Since the students can instantly pivot toward enjoying themselves, it's clear they aren't constantly competing out of deep-seated grudges, but rather just throwing themselves into refreshing, friendly rivalry.
Since everyone looks like they're having fun, it makes us want to create a fun event too.
Let's have fun. And let's entertain them.
That was the moment my policy for the cultural festival was decided.
◆
After school, having finished my student council work just like yesterday, I rolled my stiff shoulders to loosen them up before meeting up with the Konohana family's car.
"Good work today, Itsuki-san."
"Shizune-san, good work to you too."
I gave a nod of acknowledgment to Shizune-san, who was sitting in the passenger seat, and settled into the back seat.
The car immediately began moving.
"I'm sorry for making you wait again today."
"It's student council work, so there's no need to apologize. Both the young lady and Kagen-sama are aware that you will be returning at this hour, Itsuki-san."
"Hinako seemed pretty reluctant about it, though..."
Student council work is primarily done after school.
There isn't work every day, but compared to before, the days I can go home together with Hinako have decreased. Both Hinako and I only realized this fact after I became an officer, so we ended up looking at each other going, "Oh crap!"
"However, the young lady was also pleased."
Shizune-san's face, reflected in the rearview mirror, was smiling.
"At this point, no one would find it strange even if you were to stand right beside the young lady, Itsuki-san. ...You are steadily approaching the ideal position as the young lady's caretaker."
"...Thank you."
As her caretaker, I've decided I won't do anything that Hinako truly hates. Even when I decided to become an officer, Hinako cheered me on from the bottom of her heart. That's why I took that step forward.
To stand beside the perfect young lady, I suppose I have to get closer to perfection myself.
It's a long road ahead. But I am steadily moving forward.
"By the way, have your classes' attractions been decided?"
At Shizune-san's question, I recalled today's student council work.
Just like other schools, Kiou Academy's cultural festival features several attractions performed on stage in addition to the classrooms. After considering the requests of each class, we decided to hold theatrical plays, musical performances, and choruses on stage this year. These are scheduled to be performed once in the morning and once in the afternoon.
We prepared slots for two classes per attraction. In total, six classes get to perform their attractions on stage... Honestly, it requires tight, down-to-the-wire schedule management, but we student council officers discussed it and resolved to do our best to make it happen.
Two classes will be doing plays. As a result of the lottery, one of them went to a first-year class.
And the other class is――.
"――Yes. We're going to do a play."
Just as everyone expected, despite plays being a popular attraction, very few classes applied for it as their first choice. Amazingly, there were only three classes. Excluding our Class 2-A, the remaining two were first-year classes. Tennouji-san and the others deduced that this was because the first-years hadn't seen last year's play, but even so, the fact that only three classes applied is worthy of astonishment. There were probably rumors circulating even among the first-years about how amazing Hinako's play was.
Because of that, our Class A got to do a play just as we hoped.
Hearing this, Shizune-san let out a soft sigh.
"So it turned out that way, as expected."
It was a reaction that seemed to carry some hidden meaning, which made me curious.
Shizune-san silently pulled out her smartphone. Was she sending a message to someone? Timing-wise, it seemed related to what we were just talking about...
The car arrived at the estate. Feeling a slight lingering doubt, I stepped out of the car.
"The young lady is already lounging around in your room, Itsuki-san."
I had a feeling she would be, so I headed straight for my room. Shizune-san silently followed behind me. Perhaps she had some business with Hinako.
6:00 PM. Returning later than usual, I opened the door to my room.
"Hinako, I'm ho――"
"Itsuki...!"
The moment I opened the door, Hinako, who seemed to have been lounging on the bed, sprang up.
With an agility rare for the usual Hinako, she rushed over to me.
"W-What about the cultural festival attraction...!?"
As Hinako leaned in with a desperate, panicked expression, I answered her honestly.
"Class A has been confirmed for a theatrical play."
"Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........................!!"
Hinako clutched her head and collapsed right on the spot.
I-Is it really that bad...?
"...She's more depressed than ever before."
"Indeed. It wasn't quite this bad last year, though..."
Maybe she went through a lot of hardship last year.
Still crouching on the floor, Hinako looked up at me.
"Itsuki..."
"What is it?"
"Using your student council power... can't you change Class A's attraction right now...?"
She made an outrageous suggestion.
Since Hinako was groaning like a zombie at my feet, I considered it for a moment, but even without resorting to strange schemes, the student council members would probably listen to me. If I said something like, "Hinako, our lead actress, isn't feeling well..." Tennouji-san would probably make adjustments.
However...
"...I might be able to, but I don't really want to use the student council position I worked so hard to get for personal gain."
"Ugh...... that pierces... right through my chest........."
Perhaps suffering from a guilty conscience, Hinako clutched her chest while remaining crouched on the floor.
Since it's for Hinako, it might not exactly be "personal gain"... but it's undoubtedly the private use of student council authority, so I'm resistant to the idea.
However, seeing her act this averse to it makes me a little curious.
Just what kind of play did Hinako put on last year?
"...Um, Shizune-san."
"Yes."
"Was the play Hinako acted in last year really that amazing?"
In response to my question, rather than answering, Shizune-san slowly pulled out her smartphone. It seemed someone had contacted her.
After operating the screen for a moment, Shizune-san eventually looked up at me.
"Regarding that, Kagen-sama has something to discuss with you."
"Eh?"
I had only asked a casual question, but I suddenly felt an exaggeratedly serious atmosphere.
"Please follow me."
Shizune-san left my room.
After getting Hinako situated on the bed for the time being, I went after Shizune-san.
◆
Shizune-san knocked on the office door.
"I have brought Itsuki-san."
"Good work."
After hearing Kagen-san's voice, Shizune-san opened the door.
"Excuse me."
The office, which I hadn't entered in a while, was a room still drifting with a sense of tension.
This was the place where I first met Kagen-san. It was here that I learned about the problems Hinako was dealing with and made the decision to be hired as her caretaker.
Everything felt nostalgic. I probably felt that way because I was a different person now than I was back then.
Sitting across the desk, Kagen-san had an expression that seemed somewhat softer than before. I'm surely not the only one who has changed since then.
"It's been a while since we talked like this."
"Yes, it has."
We've passed each other in the hallways a few times, but it's been a while since we spoke face-to-face.
The last time we spoke was probably after the Management Tournament ended.
"Do you remember the promise we exchanged before?"
I couldn't give an immediate answer to Kagen-san's question.
"The conversation where I said I would allow you to step into the Konohana family's circumstances if you joined Kiou Academy's student council."
――There's no way I could forget that promise.
During the election period, how many times had I recalled that promise and spurred myself on...?
"I-I remember! That's why I joined the student council――"
"Let's honor that promise."
Kagen-san fixed an earnest gaze on me.
"From now on, I will involve you in the Konohana family's circumstances."
My whole body went rigid from tension.
It's finally here... That was my honest impression. I've spent a long time at this estate, and the more time passed, the more my questions about the Konohana family grew.
Isn't this estate way too big for a villa?
Why has Hinako been living in the villa the entire time?
When did Hinako's mother pass away?
What does Takuma-san want to do with the Konohana family?
Why did Kagen-san become so strict with Hinako?
I finally gained a position to confront those questions.
I tightened my lips and waited for Kagen-san's next statement.
"I apologize for making you stiffen up, but I have no intention of explaining everything all at once. This time, I will only explain matters related to the cultural festival."
"To the cultural festival...?"
"The matter this time is very simple, so I want you to relax your shoulders and listen. There is nothing special I need you to do, and if I had to say anything, I'm just giving you some advice on your mindset."
If he's going that far, I guess it's fine to relax my shoulders for now.
But how are the cultural festival and the Konohana family connected? I couldn't guess at all.
"The cultural festival attraction... I hear Class A successfully decided on a theatrical play."
He must have heard it from Shizune-san. I thought they were exchanging messages about something, but it seems she was reporting this to Kagen-san.
I nodded, saying, "Yes."
"Important figures from all sorts of industries will attend Kiou Academy's cultural festival. In other words, the cultural festival is the perfect opportunity to appeal the person known as Hinako to them."
That... makes sense, of course.
But if you put it that way, that should have been true for everything so far. The athletic tournament and the Management Tournament were no different.
What exactly does Kagen-san find so special about the cultural festival?
"I sent Hinako off with the same sentiment last year. As a result, Hinako took the lead role in the play and earned high praise."
"So it seems. Everyone at the academy also says it was a great play."
"The response exceeded my expectations. That's exactly why I told Hinako she didn't have to aim for the student council."
Hm? How does that connect?
Kagen-san explained it to me as I tilted my head in confusion.
"If she became a student council officer, she wouldn't be able to participate in the cultural festival attractions, correct? The two students who possess a presence equal to Hinako's... Mirei Tennouji and Narika Miyakojima... will have no choice but to devote themselves to behind-the-scenes work during this cultural festival. Consequently, the cultural festival will become Hinako's exclusive stage."
...Did this person plan that far ahead from the very beginning?
It's sad, but it makes perfect sense. Until now, Kagen-san has been greedy about improving Hinako's image. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wonder why he was only holding back during the election.
If you ask whether seizing the leading role at an annual event like the cultural festival balances out with becoming a student council officer, it's a bit debatable... but considering it a safe, stable strategy based on last year's track record, it might be a completely valid judgment. Furthermore, if Hinako were to become a student council officer, there is an extremely high chance her already pushed-to-the-limit stamina would hit rock bottom.
He's really thought this through, I realized.
...Well, he is her father, so I guess it's a given.
He deeply understands Hinako.
"Well, up to this point, things were flowing just as I anticipated... but the other day, I received some unexpected news, for better or worse."
Kagen-san said with a solemn look on his face.
"The current Head of the Konohana family heard the rumors and said he absolutely wants to see Hinako's play this year. Therefore, Itsuki-kun, I need you to lead the play... and the cultural festival, to success, no matter what it takes."
Kagen-san cut right to the heart of the matter.
"Are we clear? You must make this year's cultural festival more glamorous, more grandiose, and more refined than ever before. As a student council officer, you have the authority to do so, don't you, Itsuki-kun?"
"I will, well, I'll do my absolute best, but..."
I see, I nodded in understanding.
So that's why he said it was about my mindset.
It's true that I'm not being assigned any special tasks for this matter. From the start, I intended to hype up the cultural festival as a student council officer, so you could say what I need to do hasn't changed at all.
That being said, our relationship isn't one where I can view this as someone else's problem.
I just have more reasons to guide the cultural festival to success now. I should just think of it like that.
But putting that aside... there's something bothering me.
"Um, isn't Kagen-san the Head of the Konohana family?"
"I should have told you when we first met. I am the Chairman of the Konohana Group."
What's the difference between Chairman and Head?
Seeing through my doubts, Kagen-san immediately elaborated.
"I am the chief executive of the Konohana Group, but I am not the top of the Konohana family. I manage the business, but family matters are managed by my father-in-law... Hinako's grandfather."
I tried to digest Kagen-san's words in my own way.
In short, this family has two divisions: a lineage division and a business division. The lineage division is called the Konohana Family, and the business division is called the Konohana Group.
...I had no idea.
True to his promise, Kagen-san is teaching me. The internal affairs of the Konohana family.
"The Head despises mixing public and private matters. This villa where you and Hinako live was originally built for business purposes. The rule is that family matters are to be handled entirely within the main estate."
"...Hold on a second."
There's a part of that story that I just can't gloss over.
"If family matters are at the main estate and business is at the villa, then the reason Hinako is at this estate is..."
"...Just as you suspect."
Something boiled over inside of me.
Hinako isn't living at the main estate meant for family, but at the villa meant for business. Have I been spending my time up until now completely oblivious to such a cold reality?
Just when I thought I had taken a step forward, it felt as though an even deeper abyss spread out before me.
What is this?
Just what is this family?
"I'm glad."
Kagen-san gave a faint smile.
"Glad that you are someone capable of making a face like that."
Right now, I have no idea what kind of expression I'm wearing.
But I felt like I didn't want to see it.
Probably because it's an ugly one.
"I want you to remember that I am also one of the people staying at this estate."
His words startled me. It's true that Kagen-san is someone I frequently see at the villa. I know he spends time at the main estate, but he frequently comes and goes from this villa as well.
"I explained it as a villa meant to avoid mixing public and private matters, but the reality is closer to a hierarchical relationship. Only those who have achieved results and climbed to the top gather at the main estate. That is the custom of the Konohana family. ...I am in a position to freely enter and leave the main estate, but honestly, I can't say I am welcomed there."
Kagen-san said while letting out a small sigh.
His attitude made it seem like he felt it was someone else's problem, which caused a faint irritation to well up inside me.
Isn't this an issue you shouldn't be so laid-back about?
"Switch gears."
Glared at by Kagen-san, I clamped my mouth shut.
"I didn't tell you this just to keep our promise. I felt that the current you would be able to withstand the pressure of the Konohana family."
Seeing right through my state of mind, Kagen-san continued.
"I will say this again: this matter is not complicated. As a member of the student council, you only need to think about making the cultural festival a success."
"That's, true, but..."
"Handling other necessary tasks while harboring concerns is the everyday reality of an adult. I believed you were capable of that. That is why I detailed the internal affairs at this specific timing."
Do not make me regret that judgment, silently conveyed to me, I swallowed the emotions that had surged up to my throat back down to the pit of my stomach.
Kagen-san thinks highly of me. I can understand that much.
"...What's the matter? You're praising me an awful lot today."
"Did you think just anyone could get into Kiou Academy's student council?"
Kagen-san replied with a straight face.
"It's harder not to praise you once you've made it this far. ...If you doubt my intentions, I will spell it out for you clearly."
Taking a breath, Kagen-san looked at me.
"I'm glad I hired you."
I felt a jolt run straight to the core of my brain.
I've probably been unconsciously living my life making a list of "people I want to be acknowledged by." I think a lot of people are on that list... Hinako, Tennouji-san, Narika, Takuma-san, Shizune-san... but I just realized that the first person on that list was Kagen-san.
That's right. I've always wanted to be acknowledged by this person.
I believed that to support Hinako, I had to be acknowledged by this man, and I've worked myself like an idiot ever since.
Being acknowledged by this person was the very first goal I ever set.
"...Thank you very much."
I squeezed my eyes shut desperately to keep the tears welling up in the corners of my eyes from falling.
Lately, because everyone has been praising my efforts so often, I feel like I've become more prone to crying.
After roughly wiping my tears away with the back of my hand, I exhaled the jumbled mess of emotions along with my breath. Having slowly breathed all the way out, I looked at Kagen-san with a refreshed feeling.
"――I've switched gears!!"
"Good. That's a good face."
This person acknowledges me. The fact that I was able to calm down just from that reality might mean I'm still just an inexperienced kid in the end.
I'm fully aware it's an innocent way of thinking, but it still makes me happy.
Being acknowledged by an adult you respect.
"If you need anything, consult with me at any time through Shizune. ...I, too, have a duty to entertain the Head. In this matter, we share the same fate."
Hearing Kagen-san say we share the same fate almost made me tense up again.
Calm down... like Kagen-san said over and over, the hurdle of what I need to do hasn't been raised.
My mission is to make the cultural festival a success as a student council officer.
And――.
(I need to be even more determined to support Hinako.)
I won't tell her because it might pressure her, but the success of the play hinges on Hinako.
Hinako herself probably vaguely realizes this, which is why she showed such a strong rejection reaction. As her caretaker, I have to support her to make up for that. Before being a student council officer, I am the caretaker meant to support Hinako, after all.
For now, there was one thing I wanted to know.
"It's a bit late to ask, but just how amazing was the play Hinako acted in last year?"
"I will show you."
Kagen-san snapped his fingers, and Shizune-san, who had been waiting on standby, operated a remote control she had retrieved at some point to project a video onto the wall of the room.
This situation... it brings back memories.
When I visited this room for the first time, I was also shown a video like this.
Back then, it was footage of Hinako's daily life, but this time...
"Ooh..."
Projected in the video was Kiou Academy's auditorium. On that stage stood a class's worth of students. In the center stood an exceptionally lovely female student――Hinako.
"The play is an hour long. I will be working in another room, so watch it for as long as you like."
Kagen-san left the room.
I sat on the sofa and watched the play Hinako performed in last year.
◆
The stage curtain fell, and the play concluded.
Before I knew it, I was shedding buckets of tears.
"Uwooo.................. Uwoooo........................!!"
Oh my god.
All the tears I had held back in front of Kagen-san came pouring out.
"Owaaa........................!!"
I couldn't stop the overflowing tears.
It was a play that was just far too beautiful. Countless moments of emotion that were difficult to put into words. Hinako's acting in the video had fiercely plucked at my heartstrings.
Around the time my tears had run dry, the room's door opened, and Shizune-san walked in.
"Itsuki-san, how was it? The young lady's play."
"It was super good. Like, just... everything about it was good."
"I can see a decline in your vocabulary."
When people encounter magnificent art, they might feel that trying to express it in words is crass. I didn't want to verbalize this emotion and convey it to someone else. If I put it into words, someone else would interpret it. If that interpretation differed from someone else's, an argument would be born. I absolutely hated that idea. I want to keep this emotion inside me as a treasure untouched by anyone. Because I have the conviction that this emotion is absolutely correct, there's no need to let it out and reconcile it with anyone else's.
"Please rest assured. Everyone usually ends up like that after watching that play."
"...Did you end up like this too, Shizune-san?"
"........................To an extent that did not interfere with my work."
She did...
But I don't find it surprising. Hinako's acting bypassed personality and shook the very instincts.
Hinako's acting was overwhelming. Even through a screen, her emotions of joy, anger, sorrow, and pleasure were clearly transmitted; when Hinako looked happy, I felt happy too, and when Hinako looked sad, I wanted to cry too. It was truly acting that seized your heart.
Up until now, I had never thought deeply about what makes acting good or bad. But today, I understood for the first time. This is what it means to be good at acting. The actor's emotions avalanche into your heart and become your own. Up until just a moment ago, my soul had been swallowed by the stage.
(...Is she this good because she acts on a daily basis?)
I didn't think this was some talent found in an unexpected place.
Originally, Hinako had continuously kept up the act of a perfect young lady. That alone means she's spent more time pouring herself into acting than a professional actor.
Moreover, it hasn't been seen through as an act. To Hinako, Kiou Academy is the stage itself. She continues her act while constantly paying attention to the eyes of her audience.
Of course she's good. Or rather, there's no way she could be bad.
Tremendous acting ability cultivated through habit. If applied to art, who would have thought it could impart such emotion to so many people... Even Kagen-san probably didn't anticipate this.
...I'm a little happy.
Happy that I was able to notice a new charm in the girl known as Hinako Konohana.
"Was it helpful?"
"Yes. I was able to get an image of what Kiou Academy's cultural festival is like."
I switched my mindset from audience member to student council officer and looked at Shizune-san.
"The sets were even more lavish than I expected."
"A great number of VIPs are invited as guests to Kiou Academy's cultural festival, after all. An enormous budget must have been poured in to entertain them."
That's definitely true.
On the day of the cultural festival, the wealthy individuals who are the students' parents don't come just to tour the academy. They come as guests with the sole intent of enjoying the cultural festival. To entertain those with discerning eyes and palates, you need to prepare a first-class environment.
...No wonder the budget is so massive.
Since I'm a student council officer, I can roughly calculate how much budget is being poured into the cultural festival. Abeno-san, our accountant, probably knows the details, but... I don't really want to ask.
Because it's probably enough to charter a luxury cruise ship for a few days...
"Well then, I will return to my work."
"Understood. ...Ah, where is Hinako right now?"
"I believe she is in her room tackling the assignments given by Kagen-sama, but... did you have some business with her?"
"Yes, there's something I absolutely have to tell her."
These feelings, I have to deliver them to her no matter what.
Leaving the office, I rushed to Hinako's room at a brisk pace.
In my haste, I opened the door the moment I knocked.
"――Hinako!!"
"Nyeh... !?"
Hinako, who had been lounging on her bed, jumped up in surprise at my sudden appearance.
You're not studying at all, are you... I thought for a split second, but that didn't matter right now.
"W-W-W-What's wrong, Itsuki...!?"
"Hinako...!! There's something I absolutely have to tell you...!!"
"Nguuueehh...!?"
I climbed onto the bed and grabbed Hinako by both shoulders.
I feel like I might be hugging her a bit from the momentum, but that doesn't matter either.
"Y-Your hands...!! Y-Y-Y-Y-You're hugging me...!?"
"Hinako...!! I, I...!!"
"W-Wait, I'm not mentally prepared yet...!! B-But I want you to say it... yeah, say it...!! Say it right now...!!"
Her expression changing dizzyingly, Hinako stared at me with her cheeks flushed bright red.
I can say it, right...!!
Then, here I go...!!
"Hinako...!!"
"Yeah...!! Yeah...!!"
"Last year's play……………..was the absolute best!!"
"I love you too………………………….eh?"
Hinako was staring blankly with dot eyes, but to the current me, that was a secondary concern.
Half-unconsciously, I started talking about my impressions of the play. Words overflowed from my lips as if a dam had broken. I was terrified that verbalizing my emotions would cause them to weather away, but putting that aside, I had a mountain of feelings I wanted to convey to her directly. I wasn't conveying my thoughts on the play to Hinako, I was conveying my emotion.
In an instant, I realized someone was approaching from behind.
"Your eyes were bloodshot, so I secretly followed you... Just what are you doing?"
"Ouch!?"
Shizune-san's karate chop dropped onto the crown of my head.
I know because I've taken self-defense lessons. ...That one was pretty serious.
"Young lady, are you alright?"
Shizune-san approached Hinako with concern.
However, with a somewhat entranced expression, Hinako answered.
"I-I didn't get to hear the words I wanted to hear, but............ I-I'm so happy........."
Hinako was stroking both shoulders where I had grabbed her, muttering nonsense.
Shizune-san's cold stare turned toward me.
"...Itsuki-san, I will have you take proper responsibility for making the young lady go crazy."
No way...
I just wanted to convey this emotion...
◆
The next day after school, I was working in the student council room as usual.
I had gotten completely used to the scenery of the student council room... or rather, my honest impression was that I didn't even have the time to get used to it. The preparations for the cultural festival started right after the election ended, so there was no time to catch a breath.
What drove us forward was the atmosphere currently enveloping the academy.
Kiou Academy was currently united as one with the desire to hype up the cultural festival. Their pure attitude was more than enough to make us want to support them, even if it meant working ourselves to the bone.
"I had a little time this morning, so I took a look around the first-year school building, but..."
Abeno-san said while typing on her keyboard.
"A class with the heir to a major forestry company was considering building a log cabin on the school grounds. It seems they also have a connection with a famous architectural designer, and they want to hold an exhibition themed around the school of the next generation..."
Is this a World Expo?
I doubted my ears at a theme that didn't seem like it was thought up by students. However, Tennouji-san, who received the report, pondered it without looking particularly surprised.
"The condition for using the grounds is that it does not ruin the scenery. We will need them to show us the design first."
"Understood, I'll contact them."
As Abeno-san focused on her work again, this time Yodogawa spoke to Tennouji-san.
"I also got consulted by some underclassmen yesterday! They said they want to bring in their family's marine engineering technology and build an aquarium! They want permission to use real fish if possible, but if that's difficult, they said they could substitute them with robot fish or 3D holograms!"
Is this a pavilion?
I felt it was already pretty absurd at the aquarium stage, but I got the feeling they were considering attractions that major corporations would pour their budgets into.
However, Tennouji-san responded to this calmly as well.
"It's the same for the botanical gardens and zoos that other classes requested, but I would like to avoid anything that produces a smell. As long as they have countermeasures for that, real fish are fine."
"Got it!"
Come to think of it, there were classes that requested botanical gardens and zoos too...
When deciding the attractions for each class, the student council checked the submitted requests, but I was in charge of other duties, so I wasn't familiar with the details. Abeno-san and Yodogawa had handled this task.
Somehow, the atmosphere became one where it felt okay to consult Tennouji-san.
Following Yodogawa, this time Narika consulted Tennouji-san.
"For the class requesting a panel discussion on the space industry, they asked if they could invite an active astronaut as a guest. They apparently already have the connection, but is it alright to give them permission?"
"Let me see... If they have a connection, I don't mind, but I'd like the student council to meet with this guest face-to-face at least once."
"Then I will meet them. Dealing with outside parties is the General Affairs officer's job."
Narika was brimming with motivation.
Depending on the school, a Public Relations officer might handle that kind of work, but at Kiou Academy, it's the General Affairs officer's responsibility. Narika switched her goal from president to General Affairs specifically because she wanted to be involved in this PR work from the start. She must be particularly motivated when it comes to interacting with the outside.
"If you need a record kept, I can join too, you know?"
"Really? That would be a huge help!"
Yodogawa's proactive attitude often boosted the student council's morale.
Since Narika seemed to have finished her discussion, I decided to bring up my own consultation last. That being said, the person I wanted to consult wasn't Tennouji-san.
"Narika, got a minute?"
As Narika turned to look at me, I explained the matter.
"There's a class performing traditional Japanese arts. They apparently want to introduce martial arts as part of it, but they're looking for someone to supervise it. Finding an expert is one option, but... would it be difficult for you to do it, Narika?"
"Leave it to me! I'm pretty confident when it comes to most traditional arts!"
Narika agreed immediately.
I think the old Narika would have hesitated... She's as reliable as can be.
"You're full of confidence, for you."
"Hmph, don't tease me. Lately, I've been praised by all sorts of people for being full of confidence."
Really...?
I had no idea.
"Where are you getting praised?"
"By our business partners. I've visited them directly a few times to order materials, and everyone is very kind to me. They call me a well-raised girl, and they give me lots of souvenirs on my way back."
Narika puffed out her chest with a proud look on her face.
...Somehow, aren't they treating you like their grandchild?
Well-versed in Bushido and knowledgeable about traditional Japanese arts, Narika might just be a big hit with older folks.
"...What do you think, Itsuki?"
Narika stared at me.
"How am I lately? Am I doing a commendable job?"
I sensed a bit of anxiety deep in Narika's eyes.
During the election period, Narika changed her candidacy from student council president to General Affairs. This ended up involving many people. In particular, it must have had a massive impact on the life of Nishi-san, who had originally aimed for the General Affairs position. Given the unique weight of what she was carrying, Narika was probably feeling anxious deep down.
"Rest easy. You've been doing a commendable job this whole time, Narika."
"I-I see... Hehehe, I see, I see..."
Narika broke into a wide, goofy grin.
She had been commendable all along, which was exactly why Nishi-san yielded the General Affairs seat to her. A highly driven girl who aimed for General Affairs in her first year would never hand over her goal to someone half-baked.
She's really grown... As I was thinking this while looking at the grinning Narika, I noticed Tennouji-san staring a hole straight through me.
As if speaking on her behalf, Abeno-san opened her mouth.
"Please stop flirting and do your work."
"We're no—!"
We're not!! ...Wait, this happened before, too.
Narika fell silent with her cheeks flushed red. ...Like I said, reacting like that just makes it even more awkward...!!
"――Ahem!!"
Tennouji-san's deliberate, fake cough echoed through the student council room.
...Rather than a cough, didn't she actually just say "ahem" out loud?
"O-Our paperwork has reached a good stopping point, so I think we should all return to our respective classes to check on how things are going!"
Tennouji-san continued.
"Because every class is preparing large-scale attractions, I am worried about omissions in the items that need to be checked. It would be best if we went out to see them ourselves."
Tennouji-san was acting a little strange, but her point was entirely reasonable.
Even after the attractions were decided, there were likely many classes with lingering questions or issues to consult about. Before they poorly made judgments on their own and moved forward, it would be better for us to take the initiative and check on the situation.
(I guess I'll go check on my class's situation, too.)
After all, while I'm a member of the student council, I'm also a student of Class A.
I was already a bit lonely since I couldn't participate in the play, so I wanted to show my face as much as possible whenever I had the chance.
◆
The student council members dispersed, and I returned to the Class A classroom.
As I walked down the hallway, lively voices echoed from every classroom. Since Kiou Academy doesn't have club activities, the after-school hours are usually dead silent, but during the cultural festival preparations, everywhere was enveloped in joyful sounds. My footsteps naturally became lighter, and a sense of excitement welled up within me.
I should have been exhausted from student council work, but the reason energy still kept bubbling up was probably because this was the first cultural festival I could purely enjoy.
At my previous high school, I was too busy with my part-time job and could barely participate in the cultural festival. Because I couldn't properly help with the preparations, I felt so awkward that I think I held myself back from enjoying it. Back then, the cultural festival felt like someone else's affair to me. Getting dragged into someone else's event was uncomfortable, so while I felt sorry for everyone else, I just wanted it to end quickly.
It's different now. Far from being someone else's affair, I'm part of the management.
I realized that events could be this fun as long as you have a sense of involvement and ownership.
I thought to myself once again that I'm glad I joined the student council.
"Ah, Tomonari-kun!"
The first one to notice me walking into the classroom was Asahi-san.
"Has the student council work settled down?"
"Yes, so I came to see how things are going. Are the preparations progressing?"
"Yep! Everything's going smoothly!"
Asahi-san said with a bursting smile.
The students of Class A were gathered in front of the teacher's podium, discussing something. A few of them noticed me and gave a light nod, so I returned the greeting with a smile and a bow.
"It seems one of our classmates has a relative who's a famous scriptwriter. Thanks to them, it looks like we'll be able to prepare a great script!"
"Wow..."
I had no idea they had a connection like that.
It's a bit late to realize this, but since the students of this academy have a wide network in high society on a daily basis, arranging collaborators for events like this must be child's play for them. Being an opportunity to show off the connections they've painstakingly built, the students are proactive about bringing in their own contacts.
The more involvement there is with the outside world, the more the student council's work increases. The rule that officers can't participate in attractions makes total sense to me now. With this workload, balancing it with a class attraction seems impossible.
During the election period, there were many times when I was strongly reminded that the student council's first job would be the cultural festival. The trigger for that was mostly the questionnaires we had the students fill out, but they must have also understood the student council's position in this cultural festival. If we, the student council, don't get our act together, we won't be able to fully utilize the extraordinary capabilities of Kiou Academy's students.
Running the cultural festival is tougher than I thought, and it is genuinely rewarding.
"In the play Konohana-san was in last year, you did Romeo and Juliet, right?"
"Oh, nicely done~ Tomonari-kun. You really did your research."
"With a reputation that good, I'd naturally be curious enough to look it up."
In reality, I didn't even need to look it up since Kagen-san showed me the video of it, though.
"I'm not very familiar with theater, but last year's content was a somewhat modified version of Romeo and Juliet, wasn't it?"
"That's right. I believe it was rearranged into a story centered around Juliet, played by Konohana-san. ...Actually, we were just discussing over a video call with the scriptwriter about what to do this year, and it looks like we're going with a similar approach."
No wonder there was a laptop sitting on the teacher's podium.
"What are you doing this year?"
"Hamlet!"
Asahi-san said brimming with confidence.
"Since last year was Romeo and Juliet, we decided to look for another work by Shakespeare to build on that reputation. With Hamlet, the story is a revenge tragedy so it's easy to understand, and depending on the acting, we can tackle complex themes as well, making it a good fit for Kiou Academy. We didn't just leave it to the scriptwriter; we all discussed and decided on it together!"
I nodded along, saying "Wow," but I didn't actually know the detailed plot of Hamlet, so I'd need to look up the story and themes personally later. After talking with Kagen-san, I immediately researched famous plays around the world, so I at least knew the name... but judging from the way Asahi-san spoke, it was probably a play at a level where every Kiou Academy student already knew it.
Feeling the gap in our education, I was a little depressed. I thought I was working hard at my studies, but sure enough, I still feel the difference in our upbringings at unexpected moments.
"Was the scriptwriter convinced about having Konohana-san as the lead?"
"Super convinced! Ahem... 'W-What a lovely young girl!! The marriage of picture-perfect beauty and bottled-up human flaws is as deeply atmospheric as the lakeside of Hallstatt!! Please, by all means, allow me to write a script for this girl!' ...That's basically how it went."
Asahi-san acted out the scriptwriter's reaction. ...She's pretty good.
But leaving the "lakeside of Hallstatt" to be researched later... Didn't that scriptwriter somehow catch onto Hinako's true nature?
What a terrifying scriptwriter... I'll report this to Shizune-san later.
"So they're going out of their way to write a script specifically for Konohana-san, then."
"Yep, it's what you call 'ate-gaki'—writing a role tailored to a specific actor. I think this year will be based on Hamlet, but centered around Konohana-san."
Hamlet + tailored role for Hinako, it seems it will be that kind of content.
From the sound of it, by using that tailoring method, they could create a script that maximizes the actor's charm. In other words, it was the perfect approach for this play.
"Even so, you're pretty good at acting yourself, Asahi-san."
"Ehehe~ Maybe I've got a hidden talent, too."
Asahi-san laughed happily, but I also felt like she took it somewhat as a joke.
"I really think you have talent. It wouldn't feel out of place at all even if you were the lead, Asahi-san."
"H-Hey, hold on! You have someone else you should be praising, don't you, Tomonari-kun!?"
Someone else... Who is she talking about?
At the very least, Asahi-san is the only one in front of me right now.
"B-Besides, if someone like me played the lead, it'd ruin the mood for everyone~!!"
"Really? I think it fits perfectly..."
In my imagination, Asahi-san standing at the center of the stage wouldn't look out of place at all.
As I was honestly thinking this, Asahi-san's face turned bright red and she playfully drummed her fists against my chest.
"Jeeez!! Tomonari-kun!! Jeeeeeeeeeeez!!"
"W-What is it!? Asahi-san!?"
She was holding back, so it didn't hurt at all, but...
"W-Which role will Konohana-san be playing?"
When I asked that, Asahi-san snapped back to her senses.
"Ophelia, of course!!"
With my crammed knowledge, just hearing the role's name didn't ring a bell. However, I was sure it was an important character in Hamlet.
"Since we want Konohana-san to be the lead, we plan to make Ophelia the main character of this Hamlet! However, if we do that, we have to completely change the scene where Ophelia drowns, which is also one of the climax scenes of the original work..."
"...I see. If you stick to the original, Ophelia would have to exit the stage halfway through."
"Exactly! It would be a waste to have Konohana-san leave halfway, right? That's why everyone was just discussing how we should alter the story instead of having her drown."
Asahi-san added, "Though we'll have to consult with the scriptwriter about the final decision~"
Having finally heard the background of the situation, I understood what everyone was doing right now. Everyone seemed to be formulating a strategy to maximize the potential of the actress named Hinako.
Curious about how far the discussion had progressed, I listened closely to my classmates' heated debate.
"If it's an adaptation where she doesn't exit early, that means setting it so Ophelia stays alive..."
"But wouldn't that cause the tragic nature, which forms the foundation of the story, to be lost...?"
"Still, Konohana-san's worldview takes priority over Shakespeare's worldview, doesn't it..."
"That is true..."
Amazing, Hinako really is being treated like a star actress.
The atmosphere surrounding Hinako was different than before and felt fresh. However, as for the person in question, while outwardly wearing a sweet smile, she was undoubtedly sighing constantly on the inside. To Hinako, her current classmates must look like torturers discussing what kind of punishment they should use to torment her.
"If Ophelia is kept alive, wouldn't it be anticlimactic if she immediately reunites with Hamlet?"
"To put them in a situation where they can't meet, even if Ophelia doesn't drown, she could be injured, or shut herself away out of a broken heart..."
Leaving Hinako completely out of it, the classmates' discussion progressed.
"What if she received such a shock that her personality completely inverted...?"
Someone voiced that opinion.
One male student participating in the discussion called out to Hinako.
"U-Um, Konohana-san."
"Yes, what is it?"
"Well, knowing full well that this is a very difficult request, I have a proposal..."
The male student said hesitantly.
"Could you act out a lazy personality, the exact opposite of your usual self?"
A lazy personality...
..................Isn't that just the usual Hinako?
At this completely unexpected proposal, even Hinako seemed bewildered.
"...I will give it a try."
Bathing in the attention of her classmates, Hinako quietly closed her eyes.
When her eyelids opened, the eyes revealed beneath them――――were the lethargic ones I knew so well.
"Sleeeepy........."
A stir of commotion ran through the classroom.
No one could have imagined that the perfect young lady, Hinako Konohana, would show such a side. ...But everyone quickly remembered. This was acting.
"I wanna skip class... I wanna go hoooome......"
"W-What masterful acting!!"
"It's as if she's like this on a regular basis!!"
Well, because she is like that on a regular basis.
If anything, I'm pretty sure everything she just said was her true feelings.
Perhaps because her performance felt so incredibly real, the classmates had, for a brief moment, completely forgotten that Hinako was acting. Realizing this, I broke out in a cold sweat all over.
(This is bad for my heart...)
The role of caretaker exists to hide Hinako's true self. To me, the scene unfolding right in front of my eyes was exactly what I thought I would see when making the ultimate failure.
However, the classmates were incredibly excited after seeing Hinako's acting.
"Alright, let's go with this direction then!"
"Ophelia's personality inverts from the shock, and she becomes lazy!"
"Precisely because Konohana-san is usually perfect, this performance will hold immense value!"
To think things would turn out like this...
Playing a lazy shut-in would be a piece of cake for Hinako. After all, that was her true personality. She wouldn't even need to consciously act.
That being said... I should confirm it just in case.
Once the roles are decided, rehearsals for the actual performance will begin. If she wanted to change it, now was the time.
Forced to play the perfect young lady in public, Hinako couldn't just shatter the enthusiastic mood enveloping the classroom. At this rate, she'd get steamrolled by the atmosphere, so I approached Hinako and whispered secretly in her ear. Fortunately, the classmates were so hyped up by Hinako's acting that they didn't seem likely to notice our conversation.
"Hinako, are you really okay with that role?"
"Mhm... It's probably better than having to act out an unfamiliar personality..."
It sounded like her genuine feelings; her earlier look of finding this to be a total pain seemed to have improved somewhat.
(...Could it be that, since she just has to show her true self, this will actually be less of a burden on Hinako?)
Hinako usually complains about how exhausting acting is, but this time, what is required of her on stage is to show her true self. If that's the case, maybe the burden on her will be light.
"But... I want Itsuki to be Hamlet."
Hinako said while fidgeting bashfully.
I tilted my head reflexively.
"I have student council work, so I can't participate in the play, but... why?"
"...Itsuki, do you know the relationship between Ophelia and Hamlet...?"
"No, I don't. Sorry."
Embarrassingly enough, while I had researched up to the names Hamlet and Ophelia, I wasn't familiar with the play's story.
Wanting to know the reason, Hinako began to explain with her cheeks faintly tinted red.
"Ophelia, and Hamlet are............ um, lovers, and......"
"...Is that so."
..................
....................................Is that so.
"Um, so, that's why............"
"...Ah."
"I-If possible............ um, I wanted you to............"
Looking away, Hinako's cheeks flushed red as an apple.
But my face was probably the exact same color.
Hinako had just said it. Ophelia and Hamlet are lovers, and that's why she wanted me to play Hamlet. The intent behind those words was...
"Hinako, does that mean――"
"――!!"
Before I could say anything, Hinako opened her mouth.
"I-I think it'd be hard to act out that kind of relationship with someone I don't know...!!"
With a sweaty face, Hinako suddenly started speaking very fast.
Hearing those words from Hinako, I also regained my composure.
"True, it would be difficult if you aren't familiar with each other."
Acting as a lover with a complete stranger who you have no particular connection with didn't seem like it would be easy. I wasn't familiar with acting, but I could at least imagine that much.
...Phew.
That surprised me.
I thought she was implicitly confessing to me.
"What's wrong, you two?"
"Taisho-kun..."
Called out by Taisho, I turned around.
In that split second, Hinako straightened her posture perfectly and returned to being the flawless young lady.
Looking at Taisho's blank expression, an idea suddenly sparked in my mind.
"How about Taisho-kun for Hamlet?"
"Eh!? Me!?"
Taisho exclaimed in loud surprise.
"Why!?"
"Because I thought you'd be a good fit."
"Hehe, well if you say so, I guess it can't be helped."
Put up a little more resistance...
He seemed relatively eager. I felt bad if I had dumped an unreasonable request on him, but seeing his reaction, there was no need to feel even a shred of guilt.
I know Taisho's personality. It's easy to get the impression he's a bit rough around the edges, but he actually observes people closely. Even during the election period, Taisho was the first to notice that Asahi-san was harboring some worries.
With Taisho, he would never do anything that Hinako hates.
However, there was another reason why I nominated Taisho, so I explained it in a low voice so no one else could hear.
"On a serious note, I don't think there are many students who wouldn't cower when acting opposite Konohana-san..."
"Ah... Well, true, since I have tea parties with you guys all the time, I'm probably the best bet."
I'm glad he catches on fast.
Last year's play... if I had to point out one thing that bothered me, it was the awkwardness of the male student playing Romeo. It was obvious even through the video that he was nervous acting opposite Hinako, so I want to try to improve that this year.
"Alright, then I'll go volunteer. Watch my manliness."
With that said, Taisho headed toward the gathering of classmates.
"Heey! For the role of Hamlet, if it's alright, won't you let me do it!"
...Being able to do things like this is exactly why Taisho is a man worthy of respect.
How many people are there who can immediately put something into action the moment they realize it's the right thing to do? It's an attitude I want to emulate.
The premise for Hinako's Ophelia was decided. The role of Hamlet also looked like it would go to Taisho. Class A should continue smoothly with their play preparations like this.
(...Guess I'll go check on the other classes as well.)
Realizing I had nothing to worry about in my own class, I left the room.
Walking down the hallway, I secretly peeked in to see how Class B was doing.
"Hm? ...Itsuki!"
I was just casually peeking through the hallway window, yet Narika spotted me in an instant.
Combined with the way she approached while smiling brightly, my impression of Narika is still that she's like a dog. Apparently there was a period when everyone else saw her as a terrifying wolf, but...
"What's the matter, Itsuki?"
"My class seems fine, so I'm taking a look around the others. ...Your class is doing a chorus, right, Narika?"
"Yeah. I was actually just teaching them how to project their voices."
How to project their voices? As I tilted my head in confusion, Narika elaborated, looking a little embarrassed.
"Well, it seems my voice was quite loud during the election. They asked me to teach them how to project their voices. ...I actually am confident in my vocal volume. Vocalization is connected to martial arts, after all."
Breathing techniques and lung capacity; I guess it's an application of those.
Thinking back carefully, I feel like Narika's speeches really did carry well. Even back when she wasn't used to speaking in front of people, her voice was already loud.
As we were talking, a female student from Class B called out to Narika's back.
"Onee-sa―――― M-Miyakojima-san. Do you have a moment?"
"What is it?"
What was she just about to call her?
Looking at Narika turning around and the female student beyond her, I wondered. ...Narika didn't seem to mind, so there was no need to dig into it. It's also partly because I didn't want to poke a hornet's nest.
"How exactly does the voice change when using abdominal breathing?"
"Let's put it into practice."
At the female student's question, Narika enthusiastically geared up, as if to say 'good question.'
However, as I watched silently for a while, Narika looked at me bashfully.
"Aren't you going to demonstrate it?"
"Well... I get nervous when you're watching, Itsuki."
"If you can't project your voice in front of people, you can't teach them, right?"
"That's not it..."
Then how were you teaching them vocal projection before? I wondered, but Narika spoke with a somewhat awkward expression.
"I-It's just............ embarrassing, I guess, to shout loudly in front of you, Itsuki..."
"...I-I see."
I couldn't say anything more to Narika, who clearly seemed to hold special feelings only toward me. ...Knowing how she felt, her attitude totally made sense.
"T-Then I'll get going..."
"Ah, wait!"
As I tried to leave the classroom, Narika hurriedly stopped me.
"Earlier, you consulted me about supervising traditional arts, right? I just discussed it with that class, and it's been decided that I won't just supervise, but I'll actually help perform the art myself. It won't take much time, and I've already gotten permission from Tennouji-san."
I nodded, saying "Is that so," to which Narika continued.
"And so... um, it would be reassuring if you could be there with me, Itsuki, if possible."
"Sure. You must be busy too, Narika, so I'll help out."
"That's a huge help...!!"
That being said, I have no idea what I can even do...
As I was thinking this, Narika smiled softly.
"Remember what Nishi-san said before? That when I'm with you, Itsuki, I'm even more straightforward and cooler than usual."
"Yeah."
She did say that...
"I realized she was exactly right. So, I want you to be by my side as much as possible, Itsuki."
Narika made a bashful expression again.
Having her trust directed at me so straightforwardly made me blush a little... but more than that, I felt a swell of happiness.
The old Narika, upon digesting Nishi-san's words, probably would have awakened to a sense of independence and thought she shouldn't stay by my side forever. However, after putting in effort upon effort, the recent Narika was able to distinguish between what she could do herself and what was better left to others.
To begin with, Narika is open to relying on people. From the Narika of the past, I sometimes sensed a self-deprecating nuance, like she wanted support for her immature self. But now, it comes across that she is relying on others in pursuit of better results.
That's why everyone feels happy when Narika relies on them.
It makes me genuinely believe... that it's better if I'm here.
"Got it. I'll be by your side as much as I can on the day of the festival, too."
"Itsuki..."
Narika's eyes gazing at me grew slightly teary.
...However, Narika wasn't the only person gazing at me.
"U-Um... Am I interrupting?"
"N-N-N-Not at all!!"
Narika hurriedly began giving advice to the female student who asked about abdominal breathing. Glancing sideways at that scene, I went off to peek into another classroom.
(Class C, where Tennouji-san is... was doing social dancing, right?)
Practicing dance in a classroom would be inconvenient. The Class C students might not even be in their room. That's what I thought, but as I approached the classroom, I heard lively voices.
"Ohh..."
When I peeked inside the classroom, a sound of admiration slipped out.
In the center of the classroom, with the desks and chairs pushed to the edges, a male-female pair was dancing a waltz. I didn't know the male student, but the female student was Tennouji-san. Her eye-catching blonde ringlets swayed gently.
The song ended, and the dancing pair came to a stop.
Just at the timing when it looked like they were about to take a break, Tennouji-san's eyes caught sight of me out in the hallway.
"My, Tomonari-san."
Tennouji-san approached while fanning her faintly sweaty skin with her hand.
"Was everything alright with your class, Tomonari-san?"
"Yes. That's why I'm making the rounds."
"It's wonderful that you are so diligent. ...Though, I have never once doubted that aspect of you, Tomonari-san."
Tennouji-san smiled elegantly.
"You're practicing social dancing in the classroom, I see. I figured you'd be in the auditorium or something."
"We plan to do that later on. We must also learn how to utilize the hall, after all. But first, in order to improve our individual skills, I am checking everyone one-on-one."
Hearing "one-on-one" couldn't help but remind me of the first time Tennouji-san tutored me.
Even back then, Tennouji-san's instruction was easy to understand. ...Come to think of it, wasn't that the catalyst for us getting close?
"E-Excuse me!"
A female student from Class C called out to us.
"If you don't mind, could you please show us the two of you dancing together!?"
"Eh?"
Why me too? ...I thought, but when I looked around, the Class C students were uniformly nodding in agreement. It seemed everyone wanted to see us dance.
Eh... why?
"...Very well. Since it's a rare opportunity, Tomonari-san and I will show you all an example."
An example!?
"Um, that feels like a bit too heavy a burden..."
"Is that so?"
Tennouji-san's pure eyes reflected me.
"You can dance through a whole routine, can't you?"
Well, yes...
Thanks to you...
"Then, I ask for your partnership."
Pulled by the arm by Tennouji-san, I entered the Class C classroom.
Not only was I surrounded by Class C students, but I was also showered with expectant gazes. I was naturally getting nervous, but strangely enough, the moment I faced Tennouji-san, my body relaxed.
When I touched Tennouji-san's shoulder, my nervousness faded even more.
I understood the reason why my heart was growing calm.
I knew it with my entire body. As long as I'm with this person, whatever we do will go well.
The music began, and we danced a waltz. The movements ingrained in my body answered my trust. I could display an elegant dance on autopilot without even thinking.
As we danced, my eyes met Tennouji-san's.
"I've ended up dragging you into this."
"I really did get dragged into it..."
I gave a wry smile.
"Do you dislike it?"
"Not at all."
There's no way I could dislike it.
"It's an honor to be able to dance with you, Tennouji-san."
When I looked her in the eyes and conveyed my true feelings, Tennouji-san smiled gently.
"You are as much of a smooth-talker as ever, aren't you?"
Having reached the corner of the classroom, we changed directions with a low-rotation reverse turn. The timing was perfect. We were completely in sync without even needing eye contact.
I looked at the expressions of the students surrounding us.
They were all watching us with sparkling eyes.
(...Is this a lingering effect from our election campaign?)
At Kiou Academy's cultural festival, there are three centerpiece attractions. Theatrical plays, chorus, and social dancing... by some coincidence, the second-year Classes A through C ended up performing these three.
However, as someone who tallied the votes from each class, I couldn't shake the feeling that for Classes A and C, there was actually some silent deference from the other classes. Class A was, of course, due to the desire to see Hinako's play. And Class C was due to the desire to see Tennouji-san dance.
During the election period, Tennouji-san and I executed a strategy of dancing a social dance in front of the students. I felt the impact of that event was still lingering. In fact, some of the preference survey forms submitted by the classes even had "We want to see Tennouji-san's dance" scribbled on them as a memo.
"The catalyst may have been our dance during the election campaign, but..."
Tennouji-san said, gazing into my eyes.
"The fact that they requested to see it again is undeniably due to our own skill."
She's right.
If we were bad at it, there's no way they'd say they wanted to see it again.
"I know."
"My."
Tennouji-san made a surprised face.
"Even I won't just stay humble forever, you know."
That's right, just being humble isn't enough. I realized that when I was trapped by the Joutou faction's schemes during the election period. It was a realization that came too late.
What should I do to avoid repeating the same mistake? ――To tell the truth, I have something in mind, but I haven't put it into action yet.
It was something that required a little courage.
The dance was about to end. We executed standard steps. A turning lock, a left whisk, a contra check... We finished with Tennouji-san striking a pose, arching her back.
We took a bow and received a round of applause from the students.
Amidst the applause, my eyes met Tennouji-san's.
"You haven't grown dull."
"I'm honored."
In social dancing, the man and woman press their bodies together, exchange glances at a distance where their breaths mix, and together create a single work of art. Perhaps because of that, one's sense of distance feels a bit strange right after the dance ends. Even staring straight into Tennouji-san's eyes like this, I don't feel embarrassed at all. It's because I feel like we were connected far deeper just moments ago.
"Tomonari-san, if you don't mind, how about one dance at the cultural festival as well?"
Tennouji-san proposed with a smile.
"I had originally planned to help out with just one song. That much wouldn't interfere with my student council work... Since this is a rare opportunity, I would like to nominate you as my partner, Tomonari-san."
I have no reason to refuse.
If my partner is Tennouji-san, it's an honor no matter how many times she invites me.
"If you're fine with me, please allow me to join you."
"...Hehe, you are still quite humble, aren't you."
Tennouji-san gave a soft giggle.
"It has to be you, you know."
...Whoops, she got me there.
I waved my hands to fan some air onto my sweaty body.
My cheeks felt unusually hot.
◆
By the time I finished checking on Class D's situation, my sweaty body had cooled down just right.
It was already mid-November. The wind blowing through the hallway was chilly, and if I were to sweat half-heartedly, my body would end up getting too cold instead.
When I peeked into Class E's classroom, a crowd of students had formed.
Seeing the lone male student at its center, I unconsciously held my breath.
Ren Joutou. ...The man who stood in our way until the very end during the student council election.
His hairstyle remained slicked back. During the first half of the election, he wore his hair down, hiding his eyes, but I somehow sensed he wouldn't return to that appearance anymore. For Joutou, this must be his true self. Thinking about it again, his current hairstyle suits him better.
Honestly, I felt the election was a narrow victory. If even one of the moves we made had failed, we undoubtedly would have lost.
Thinking about it now, the reason our moves were mostly successful was thanks to the popularity and trust Tennouji-san and Narika had built up until now. Conversely, if Joutou had possessed that same accumulation of trust, wouldn't it have been quite dangerous for us?
The election was over. Even so, the moment I saw Joutou, I found myself getting tense. To me, Joutou was that formidable of an enemy.
(...It's not good to feel this intimidated by him.)
Dragging this feeling out from here on wouldn't be good. If possible, I want to wipe it away right now. Thinking that, I decided to call out to Joutou myself.
"Joutou-kun."
When I called his name, Joutou immediately turned around and walked over.
"Tomonari-kun, what's wrong?"
"I came to make the rounds for the student council. ...Things look like they're going smoothly."
"Yeah. We had two students in our class whose families run tourism businesses, so centering around them, we decided to do a promotion of lands that have ties to Kiou Academy."
Sweeping a glance over the classroom, I saw several exhibition posters that seemed to be in production. Information about the production areas of Kiou Academy's purveyed black tea leaves, and knowledge about the sewing factories for our school uniforms were compiled on them.
It was surprisingly interesting. The first-class products used at this academy apparently have unique production areas too; for example, parts of the school uniforms seemed to be manufactured overseas. Because of the designer in charge's intentions, or something like that.
True to the tourism industry, plenty of beautiful photos were used, but...
"The central figure looked like you, Joutou-kun."
"...You saw?"
Based on the scene from just moments ago, the center of this class is definitely Joutou. Even now, students who looked like they wanted to seek instructions from him were directing their gazes our way.
"Even though I was defeated in the election, there are still many people who look up to me. ...That's exactly why I feel sorry. I really did want to win."
Feeling the undeniable heat of a flame that was almost dying out in the ashes, I gulped down my saliva.
I have to stand tall in front of Joutou. That is the sincerity a winner should show.
"I'll put in the effort so you won't tell me to 'switch places' later on."
"Creating conditions that back yourself into a corner like that is very much like you, Tomonari-kun."
Ugh...
Just when I thought I had neatly wrapped up the conversation, a sharp knife of words suddenly flew at me, making my face twitch involuntarily.
Now that he mentions it, I might be prone to falling into this kind of mindset...
"This might be me being meddlesome, but going out of your way to emphasize the weight of responsibility within yourself is proof that you lack the confidence to fulfill it, isn't it?"
"Ughhh..."
"It might serve for your self-growth, but now that you're in the position of Vice President, that lack of confidence might have a negative influence on those around you."
"Guhhhhhhhh~~~~......"
P-Please stop already...
It hurts... He's completely seeing right through to my true feelings...
Even though it was a short period, we recognized each other as competitors. Just as I observed Joutou, he must have been observing me too. It might sound weird to say, but compared to classmates I barely interact with, Joutou overwhelmingly understands me as a person better.
However, after giving his piece, Joutou made an apologetic face.
"...Sorry, I said a bit too much."
Joutou showed signs of remorse.
"I'm immature too. ...I thought I had calmed down, but it seems I'm still frustrated."
I felt validity in Joutou's words, but to him, it seemed it was an unnecessary remark.
We're both immature. That's why there were openings to exploit, leading to a close battle.
If either one of us had been perfect... like Hinako when she wears her mask of the perfect young lady, the match would have been decided in an instant.
That might, perhaps, be a lonely thing.
"Just one last thing."
Joutou said while looking into my eyes.
"Are you going to keep that tone of speaking?"
"..."
At the very, very end, he touched upon the part I least wanted him to point out.
No... I wouldn't have been able to make up my mind forever on my own, and in a way, I feel it was good that someone brought it up.
The step to graduating from just being humble. I thought that was my tone of speaking.
I don't think it's just the way I speak. Especially at Kiou Academy, which values etiquette and manners, dignity resides in one's tone of voice. The fear of losing that is not small.
Long story short, things that were forgiven up until now because I used polite speech might not be forgiven from here on out.
The anxiety of whether I could actually withstand such a change in environment. That was the reason why I struggled to take that step forward.
"You were cool when you boldly confronted me, Tomonari-kun."
Saying that, Joutou returned to the center of the classroom.
Precisely because I recognized him as an enemy until recently, being acknowledged by him made confidence well up inside me.
...Let's do this.
Things like this are better done quickly. If I think, 'I can just do it after the cultural festival is over...', I'll eventually just develop a habit of dragging things out and postponing them.
Strike while the iron is hot. There's no time like the present.
Arming my courage with words, I headed for the student council room.
◆
Returning to the student council room, Abeno-san and Yodogawa had already come back. There must not have been any problems in their respective classes. Both of them were silently immersed in their work.
As I was also processing my work, Tennouji-san and Narika returned together.
After briefly reporting the results of their patrols, they focused on their work again.
In the moderate quiet, I hardened my resolve.
(...I've already gotten Shizune-san's permission, too.)
I've already consulted with Hinako as well. There are no more valid reasons to postpone this any further.
Just as I solidified my resolve, Abeno-san handed me several sheets of paper.
"Tomonari-san, I calculated the budget we can use for entertaining the Minister and his party, and it seems we can upgrade the guest seating to these chairs..."
...The perfect opportunity has presented itself.
After confirming the budget and the chair documents, I looked toward Abeno-san and answered.
"Yeah, I think that's fine."
Feigning calmness, I answered in my natural tone.
The moment I did, all the members in the student council room turned my way simultaneously.
"Eh?"
Tennouji-san's eyes widened.
"Ah."
Narika panicked. ...She probably thinks I slipped up my speech style.
"Huh?"
Yodogawa looked blankly. As if to say, Did I hear that wrong?
Finally, Abeno-san looked at me with a stiffened expression.
"...Um, did I do something to offend you?"
"No, no, no!! Not at all!! Ah, I mean, that's not it, or rather!!"
Right, of course.
Just suddenly changing my tone wouldn't be accepted; it would just cause confusion first.
Never mind. Suppressing the urge to say that and brush it off, I explained the situation.
"Actually, I've had some thoughts on the matter, and I wanted to change the way I speak..."
Thoughts? They tilted their heads.
Looks like a half-hearted explanation won't cut it anymore.
I'll be in a mutually supportive relationship with the student council members for a long time. I should properly explain from the ground up.
"...A few of you already know, but this is my natural self. When I transferred to Kiou Academy, I changed a lot of things to keep up with everyone, but lately, I've developed a habit of acting overly submissive. Because of that, things almost got dangerous during the election."
Because I end up respecting anyone and everyone, I couldn't see through Minato-senpai's malice. Even when seeing people who produce better results than me, rather than feeling a sense of defeat, I would just find it convincing.
"So... I figured I should try acting a bit more dignified, too."
I wanted to break free from the habit of acting subservient. I conveyed that intention of mine to everyone.
"...I don't think it's bad."
Perhaps wanting to take responsibility for initially misunderstanding my intent, Abeno-san was the first to react.
"It's not as though your sincere personality will disappear, Tomonari-san. In fact, I feel like a slightly more casual tone suits you better."
Perhaps, included in that expression of "suits you," there was a sense of consideration.
I'm aware that many people think I'm sincere, so for now, I'll allow myself to believe my personality is sincere. However, I recently realized that if I add politeness on top of that, it goes past being humble and becomes servile.
Everything has its compatibility. When I first transferred, this humble attitude saved me, but for the current me to speak politely to everyone crosses into the territory of overdoing it.
Just as Abeno-san said, I'm only changing my tone; I have no intention of changing my mindset of wanting to be sincere. However, for the current me, having just one of those is enough. In that case, I'll choose the sincere mindset, and adjust my tone for what I need next.
What I need next is the self-awareness of standing above others.
Joutou's face flashed across the back of my mind. I don't want him to be disappointed in me.
"Actually, you've been speaking with Miyakojima-san in that tone for a while now, haven't you? I think everyone had a vague idea that it was your true self, Tomonari-san."
"Though it was sudden for me, so I was surprised..." Abeno-san continued.
Now that she mentions it, it's true. I've always talked to Narika with my natural attitude.
Had I been a bit too defensive?
"I'm in favor of you showing your true self too! It gives you more dignity, which is great!"
Yodogawa showed his support.
"Of course, I have no objections."
"I am also in favor."
Narika and Tennouji-san also gave their consent.
Feeling relieved, I was suddenly stared at straight on by Tennouji-san.
"Tomonari-san. ...Congratulations."
Tennouji-san abruptly offered her words of blessing.
Following her, Narika also spun words of blessing while smiling.
"Yeah. ...Congratulations, Itsuki."
I understood the meaning behind their blessings immediately.
The two of them knew. That my true identity wasn't an heir, but just a commoner. That in order to hide it, I had to completely change everything from my tone of speech to my attitude.
To me, this was a graduation.
A graduation from the self who could do nothing but humble himself before everyone.
Tennouji-san and Narika were paying their respects to the effort I had put in up until now.
"Somehow, it feels like there's a topic only we can't keep up with."
"Yeah. It's lonely!"
Abeno-san and Yodogawa said, exchanging glances with each other.
I didn't mean to leave them out, but... honestly, Tennouji-san, Narika, and I are close enough to frequently see each other at tea parties, so we have an especially large amount of shared topics.
"It's because Tennouji-san and Narika know me from right after I transferred to Kiou Academy. Back then, including my tone, I was desperately putting in effort to blend in with my surroundings..."
That's why they were acknowledging my hard work.
After explaining it simply, Abeno-san and Yodogawa showed surprised expressions.
"...You were working that hard. I only know the recent Tomonari-san, so I never got any particular impression of immaturity from you, but..."
"Same here! In fact, you have such a strong impression of being highly active in the Management Tournament and stuff, Tomonari-san, I thought you were a genius right from the start!"
To think the day would come when I'd be considered a genius.
It was really tough getting to this point... I miss the days when Tennouji-san used to correct my posture. Though she still points it out occasionally even now.
"Tomonari-san, you were a man of hard work! Total respect!"
"Thanks."
I was showered in sparkling gazes from Yodogawa.
"...I've been wondering for a while, but your tone of speaking is pretty unique, isn't it, Yodogawa?"
Perhaps, much like me, he had his own twists and turns?
I tried asking with that in mind, but...
"Ah, I have a super overly familiar personality, so my parents force me to use polite speech! But with polite speech, I can't fully express myself, and it's hard to close the distance with people, so I arranged it to a degree that doesn't bother anyone! It's a secret from my parents, so I want you guys to keep quiet about it too!"
It was an incredibly mundane reason.
As I gave a wry smile, this time Abeno-san asked Yodogawa a question.
"But Yodogawa-san, I thought this when you created the invitations for us, but your handwriting is very beautiful. Did you learn calligraphy, just like Miyakojima-san?"
"Yep!"
Yodogawa nodded.
"I've been restless since I was a kid, so my parents forced me to learn calligraphy too! Well, in the end, I just became a noisy guy who happens to have good handwriting, though!"
Seeing Yodogawa laugh, "Hahaha!", we had no choice but to smile wryly.
This guy is way too positive...
However, I could sympathize with the problem of not being able to fully express oneself and having a hard time closing the distance when using polite speech. Depending on the person, sticking to polite speech might not be an issue, but for me, I feel like my natural tone ultimately came out whenever I exchanged true feelings with someone. Whether with Hinako, Tennouji-san, or Narika, I'm pretty sure I reverted to my natural tone whenever we talked about important things.
"Hehe."
Tennouji-san smiled faintly.
"Come to think of it, since the cultural festival preparations began immediately after the student council election ended... perhaps we haven't been able to fully deepen our friendships yet."
It's hard to say that we are well-acquainted with one another yet. Tennouji-san seemed grateful that an opportunity to realize this had arisen.
"If we are opening up to each other, there is one thing I would like to ask..."
Abeno-san looked my way.
"In the end, are you a playboy, Tomonari-san?"
"..."
Why would you ask something like that...?
"...Abeno-san, where did you hear that rumor?"
"The first-years were gossiping about it. Acquaintances often ask me for the truth, and I reply that it's a completely baseless rumor, but... I would feel terrible if I were spreading a lie."
In other words, Abeno-san suspects that I might actually be a playboy.
I suppose it's not unreasonable for her to feel that way if she's asked over and over... but I'd prefer she deny it to the very end.
Sighing, I answered.
"It's a completely baseless rumor. Just one of the many smear campaigns that circulated during the election activities."
"...Come to think of it, there were various rumors going around."
Abeno-san seemed on the verge of being convinced for a moment, but...
"Then you have absolutely nothing going on with the President or Miyakojima-senpai, Tomonari-san?"
"..."
To flatly declare "absolutely nothing"... I can't help but feel there's actually quite a bit going on...
Finding my silence suspicious, Abeno-san looked toward Tennouji-san and Narika.
"That applies to you two as well, President, Miyakojima-senpai? Am I correct in my understanding that neither of you think anything of Tomonari-senpai?"
"..."
"..."
Tennouji-san and Narika fell silent, just like me.
Both of their faces were red. ...Narika's in particular was red. But I understand how they feel. Especially in Narika's case, it's hard to say there's absolutely nothing.
After all, Narika has confessed to me.
Observing our reactions, Abeno-san thought for a moment.
"............................Is the rumor true?"
"It's not!! Anyway, um, it's not!!"
I'm not a playboy!!
I am............ not a playboy!!
◆
After finishing my student council work, I returned to the estate and entered my room.
"I'm home."
"Mhm... welcome back~..."
As if it were a matter of course, Hinako was sprawled out on my bed.
Raising her upper body to sit on the edge of the bed, Hinako gazed at me as I put down my bag and took a breath.
"Itsuki, are you tired...?"
"I guess. I tried speaking in my natural tone at the student council, so..."
I had told Hinako that I wanted to return to my original tone, but I hadn't told her it would be today, so she was surprised. Even though I made the decision right after the election, I had been putting it off until now, so she probably thought I'd do it after the cultural festival ended and things settled down. Actually, somewhere in my heart, I had intended to do that too.
"How did... everyone react?"
"They accepted it more easily than I expected. ...It honestly took the wind out of my sails."
It was so easy that it still hasn't fully sunk in.
Hinako smiled gently at me.
"Thank you for all your hard work up until now."
"...Thanks."
Hinako, just like Tennouji-san and Narika, offered words of blessing.
In this world, there are people who have been watching over my efforts right beside me this whole time. I have to be grateful for that fact.
"You look tired too, Hinako."
"Mngh... Play practice is harder than I thought."
Hinako looked even more tired than me. Usually, her desire to "laze around" is front and center, but right now, "I want to rest" was written all over her face. It's a subtly different nuance.
"I can help out if you want? If there's anything I can do, that is."
"...Then, could I ask you to play the role of Hamlet for just a bit?"
"Of course."
Hinako picked up the script she had placed beside the bed and handed it to me.
The fact that the script was here meant that Hinako had been practicing for the play for a while even after returning to the estate. It was unusually diligent of her.
"I just need to read from here, right?"
"Mhm. ...Itsuki, do you know Hamlet?"
"Yeah, I studied up on it just in case."
I looked it up in the car on the way home.
Hamlet is one of Shakespeare's four great tragedies, said to have been first performed in the early sixteenth century. The other three of the four great tragedies are Othello, Macbeth, and King Lear; the famous Romeo and Juliet is actually not included here. It is said that's because Romeo and Juliet also contains many comedic elements.
In reality, Hamlet is a work with a consistently serious development from beginning to end, themed around the murky, messy aspects of royal succession. ...Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, was grieving the death of his father, the King. However, one day, he learns his father was murdered. The culprit was his uncle, the current King. He killed Hamlet's father and stole both the throne and the queen. Learning the truth, Hamlet swears to avenge his father, but his revenge drags in many people and brings them misfortune.
There are many people caught up in Hamlet's revenge, but the most representative figure among them is a girl named Ophelia. She was Hamlet's lover. However, Ophelia couldn't keep up with the madness of a Hamlet driven by revenge, and her heart was broken. Eventually, Hamlet accidentally kills Ophelia's father, and the despairing Ophelia loses her sanity as well, falling into a river and dying. ...A hopeless tragedy.
Hinako was chosen to play this girl, Ophelia. The more I looked into it, the more I understood that it was a very crucial role. You could say she is the very existence that makes the work known as Hamlet a tragedy.
Reading the script handed to me by Hinako, I visualized the scene we were about to act out in my head.
"This is a famous scene."
"Mhm... that's why I have to put a little bit of effort into it."
Given that Hinako, who would slack off at any given opportunity, was saying this, this scene must be especially important and dictate the quality of the play.
It's the scene where Hamlet, who has sworn revenge, has a falling out with Ophelia. Hamlet feigns madness in order to exact his revenge. Ophelia is confused by his madness and grieves.
Honestly, I don't have the confidence to suddenly act out this part. ...Taisho is probably holding his head in distress around now, too. Playing Hamlet looks to be tougher than expected.
"Well then, I'll read."
I'll try to act well enough to serve as her practice dummy.
I faced Hinako while holding the script. Then, I realized something obvious. If I'm holding the script, Hinako can't read it.
"Do you have your lines memorized?"
"Mhm... I memorized all of them."
"...Not just this scene?"
"I memorized all of Ophelia's lines written in the script. ...It's just the initial draft, so they'll probably change from here on, though."
As always, her capabilities alone are genius-level.
If that's the case, I'll go ahead and use the script.
I am Hamlet from here on out. My father dies, and at the end of my sorrow, I realize it was murder and become tainted with a desire for revenge. I feel bad for my lover, Ophelia, but lust cannot be prioritized over an offering to my late father. I am at the mercy of a madness that walks a fine line with pride.
"'Farewell, Ophelia. Get thee to a nunnery. Humans should not marry. Humans are villains by nature.'"
Bidding farewell to Ophelia, I walk away from her. ...In order to replicate the atmosphere of that stage direction, I walked to the edge of the wall, putting distance between me and Hinako.
Told farewell by Hamlet, Hinako grieved with an expression full of sorrow.
"'Oh, heavenly powers! Restore Lord Hamlet!'"
It was a beautiful, captivating performance.
"'A noble mind has become deranged. He who possessed the courtier's words, the soldier's sword, and the scholar's insight has fallen to the ground. He has been swallowed by madness!'"
Her hauntingly realistic acting seized my heart.
I felt it was far too much of a waste that I was the only audience member. That performance just now should be done on a larger stage, and it should draw an even larger crowd. I was almost under the illusion that it was my mission to make that happen right now.
Hinako let out a sigh and returned to her usual sluggish demeanor. Seeing that sight, I finally regained my senses. It was just a brief moment, I had only heard a few lines, yet my entire body was breaking out in a sweat. If I opened my mouth, it felt like the flames of excitement would spill out from inside me.
"...You really are amazing."
Desperately suppressing the flames, I conveyed my thoughts.
"Are you that good at acting because you do it on a regular basis, after all?"
"I think so. I'm used to being conscious of people's eyes..."
Just as I thought.
"But my Ophelia isn't perfect yet..."
I understood what the word 'perfect' that Hinako just uttered referred to.
Compared to her usual acting, Ophelia was likely still insufficient for Hinako.
"To satisfy Grandfather, I have to pour more into the acting..."
Hearing Hinako mutter to herself, I was a little surprised.
"So you know the Head of the family is coming."
"Mhm, Papa told me. ...I didn't want to hear it."
"Ughhh..." With a weary expression, Hinako sighed.
"Grandfather has an incredibly discerning eye... so I don't think he'll be satisfied with just this."
"That's tough..."
Even the acting just now isn't good enough...?
To me, it felt like there would be absolutely no problem even if this was the finished product.
"But I've found areas for improvement, so I think this scene is fine now. ...Thanks for helping me. Even though things are tough for you too, Itsuki."
"It's not that tough for me, though."
Today I just tried speaking to the student council members in my natural tone. But――.
"Thinking about tomorrow makes me nervous. Next I have to explain about my speech style to everyone in the class."
"I'm cheering for you. Do your beest..."
...What a lethargic cheer.
It's soothing, though.
"You're finally free from your fake tone..."
"Yeah."
I perhaps shouldn't describe simple polite speech as a fake tone, but in reality, I don't have a personality polite enough to use honorifics with classmates. Even if it couldn't be called a fake tone, it was a fact that I had been interacting with everyone using a fake attitude.
When I think about tomorrow, a nervousness similar to elation and a tinge of loneliness well up inside me.
Why am I lonely? Finding it strange, I quickly understood.
"My polite attitude up until now saved me many times, after all. In that sense, even though it was a fake tone, it was probably important..."
I felt that deeply.
The habit of humbling myself, which has now become shackles, used to support me like a partner. It's only natural to feel a sense of reluctance to part with it.
Hearing my words, Hinako――.
"............Eh?"
For some reason, Hinako's eyes were wide with shock.
Why was she so surprised?
"What's wrong, Hinako?"
"............No, it's nothing."
Hinako shook her head and averted her gaze.
It seemed like something was up, but... in the end, Hinako didn't tell me what it was, and she returned to her room in almost complete silence after that.
◇
Returning to her room, Hinako immediately sank her body into the bed.
Burrowing under the covers, she was enveloped in warm darkness. Her tired body and mind rejoiced. Falling asleep just like this was happiness for Hinako.
But, she couldn't sleep right now.
Itsuki's words had been echoing continuously in her brain for a while now.
(His fake tone, is important...?)
Itsuki had said it. That his tone up until now held value to him.
Hinako couldn't understand that.
(..................Even though it was acting?)
Come to think of it, just as Hinako acted the perfect young lady at the academy, Itsuki had also been acting out a humble personality different from his true self at the academy. She hadn't really been conscious of it, but Itsuki had also been doing something similar to her this whole time.
That was why she had commended him. Thank you for all your hard work up until now. You're finally free...
An act that was nothing but stifling, forced upon him by his position and title. She believed she could sympathize with the joy of being freed from that more than anyone else.
And yet, Itsuki's reaction was different from what Hinako had expected.
Itsuki did not feel that his acting up until now was a bad thing.
(I've never considered the idea of being saved by my own acting, but...)
Could it be... the same for me?
Resting the side of her face on her fluffy pillow, she thought.
For Hinako, acting was nothing but exhausting, but perhaps she had gained a place to belong through this acting.
The perfect young lady.
The other me...
(I've always thought of acting as a hateful thing, but...)
She recalled the past. The catalyst that forced her to start acting.
Her childhood when she was hailed as a prodigy. Back then, everyone was kind. But even as everyone fussed over her, she never developed a taste for it. She preferred peaceful times over the time she spent being praised as a genius.
A lot of things happened after her self-indulgent true nature was discovered. First, her fiancé at the time was disappointed, and their engagement was called off. Furthermore, her mother died right around that time.
Her mother's death was sad. But there was someone who was grieving even more than Hinako.
Kagen Konohana... Hinako's father, with a strong resolve residing in his tear-swollen eyes, ordered Hinako.
Act.
(...I know.)
She sighed under the covers.
The warmth of her breath bouncing back was uncomfortable.
(What everyone wants... is me when I'm acting...)
She vaguely understood.
This world desires her when she is acting.
She wasn't so pessimistic to think No one wants my true self..., but she was at least aware that the ones who did were in the minority.
If so, just like Itsuki, she must be securing her place to belong through her daily acting.
Even if it wasn't what she wished for...
(...It's fine. As long as Itsuki looks at the real me, that's enough.)
Itsuki is a person on the minority side, one who desires her just as she is.
That time he was about to be fired from being her caretaker, Itsuki had told her. 'I want to become someone Hinako doesn't have to push herself for'... Just how much had that statement supported her? It gave her the courage to believe she could be her true self when she was by Itsuki's side.
However, she suddenly thought.
Itsuki is a considerate person. The reason he desires her as she is might just be out of sympathy for this circumstance where she is forced to act.
Itsuki hadn't actually said it.
He hadn't said a single word about liking the real Hinako better.
(............Which one does Itsuki like better, I wonder?)
Poking her face out from the covers, she pondered while hugging her pillow.
Her current self, and the perfect young lady version of herself.
Which one does Itsuki like better?
Comments
Post a Comment